To reserve a meeting room at the library, complete the following form, or print out the Request for Use of Library Facilities application and return it to the Administration Office. Use of Library facilities is reserved for groups composed primarily of district residents. Room use is confirmed when this form is signed by the Director and returned to you. Please read the Library Facilities Policy at the end of this application. No admission may be charged. For questions, call 631-498-1271.
USE OF LIBRARY FACILITIES POLICY
- The use of meeting rooms in the Library is granted to community groups and organizations whose aims are Library-connected, civic, educational and/or cultural.
- All meeting and events held in Library meeting rooms shall, be subject to capacity constraints, be open to all Library patrons. However, the organization conducting the event or meeting may limit active participation by non-members of the organization.
- Use is granted only to those groups whose regularly attending membership is comprised mainly of residents of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District.
- The rooms may not be used for religious worship.
- Use of Library’s facilities by a group does not imply endorsement of the beliefs of that group by anyone connected with the Library.
- Programs sponsored by the Library may include the sale of products such as a book authored by the program speaker. All sales by the program speaker must be specifically approved by the Director.
- Groups whose membership includes minors must be supervised by a sufficient number of responsible adults (recommended 1 adult/25 minors.)
- Library meeting rooms are available during regular Library hours and shall not extend beyond 10:00 pm Monday through Friday and 4:45 pm on Saturday. No one will be admitted to a meeting after the Library has closed. On Sunday, room use is limited to Library programs.
- Main level rooms will be available only for meetings which will end one half-hour before the Library closes.
- Meeting rooms are available on a first-come, first served basis, except that Library programs receive first consideration.
- The Library reserves the right to assign the most appropriate room for each group based on scheduling and space needs.
- Limitations on parking may determine the Library’s ability to accommodate groups. Under some circumstances groups may be required to use auxiliary parking. Failure to comply will result in the denial of future applications.
- The following announcement must be made prior to the start of your meeting or program. Please be advised that the fire exits from this room are located (point out exits) and there is a map on the wall near each door showing the exits from the building. Please familiarize yourself with this information.
- All applicants, upon signing this application, agree to accept indemnification responsibility and execute a hold harmless/indemnification agreement in favor of the Library, its Board of Trustees, and its employees from any liability or claim action or loss arising from applicant’s use of the meeting room, including the cost of legal fees, costs, or expenses incurred by the Library in connection with defending any claim arising from applicant’s use.
- Groups which carry insurance are required to provide a certificate of insurance to the Library at the time of application. Other groups are urged for their own protection to obtain temporary insurance policies against liability for property damage or personal injury.
- The applicant is responsible for all supervision and any damages incurred to the Library building or equipment. Rooms and facilities shall be left clean and in an orderly fashion or a clean-up fee of $25 may be charged.
- Rooms may be used only for the specific activity stated on the application.
- No admission fees may be charged, no donations may be solicited, nor may any items, products or services be sold by any community group.
- Use of the facilities will not be granted for fundraising purposes.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is prohibited.
- Groups must provide necessary equipment and supplies for any refreshments. Meals or snacks of any kind, except for cookies and cake, may not be served unless special permission is granted. Groups are responsible for proper clean-up. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Tables and chairs are provided by the Library. Room set-up should be requested at the time of application and only one room set-up will be done by custodial staff.
- The Library Director, or her designee, is authorized to order the termination of any meeting or activity which is disorderly or disruptive of Library functions or being conducted in violation of any law or use regulation. The determination to terminate the meeting or activity shall be final. The Library Director or her designee is authorized to call upon security personnel or law enforcement agencies to enforce such decision. Further use of Library facilities may be denied to any person or group that violates these regulations.
Application for Use
- Applications may be made no earlier than December 1 for January, February, March; March 1 for April, May, June; June 1 for July, August, September; September 1 for October, November, December. Requests must be made at the office of the Library Director no later than one week in advance of the date of intended use.
- Groups intending to apply for meeting room use must provide a copy of their charter, constitution, bylaws or a statement of purpose. The Library reserves the right to review a group’s membership list and to require proof of non-profit status.
- Requests for the use of Library facilities shall be made by an adult district resident, 18 years or older, in writing on forms provided by the Library.
- No application shall be considered officially approved until it is signed by the Library Director, or other person designated by the Board of Trustees and returned to the applicant.
- Requests for use of Library equipment are dependent on availability. Such requests must be made at the time of application.
- Room assignments may be subject to change in order to accommodate as many community groups as possible. The Library reserves the right to revoke a meeting room use permit should there be a conflict with Library-related services, programs or activities or in the case of an emergency or closing.
- All publicity for events in the Library, whatever the source, must be approved by the Library Director prior to issuance. In all announcements or publicity related to a meeting, the Library may only be mentioned as a location, not as the sponsor of an event or as the headquarters of an organization and the Library’s telephone number may not be given as a source of further information about the meeting.
- In the event a meeting is cancelled, notification should be given to the office of the Library Director as soon as possible but at least 21 days before the scheduled date of the meeting to be cancelled. Failure to notify the Library of a cancellation may result in suspension of the group’s meeting room use privileges.
Final interpretation of this policy rests with the Library Board of Trustees. In matters of scheduling meeting room use, the decision of the Library Director will be final.
Approved by the Board of Trustees: 1/25/10