window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || ;
gtag('js', new Date());
- Spring: Sunquam-Melville PTA begins the Library Fund with $200 and runs a benefit dance.
- October 17: Meeting at the home of Mrs. Ruth Freeze to promote the start of a community library.
- Boy Scouts and other volunteers conduct a door-to-door appeal for books and library funds.
- April: The Library opens in Melville.
- December: Library membership is 500 and the library is open 14 hours each week.
- June 15: Proposition to formally establish a school district public library is approved.
- June 22: Referendum on library budget.
- The first library director is Mrs. Virginia Moran.
- June 26: Permanent charter is granted.
- November 18: Public information meeting was held to discuss a new library building.
- December 1: Referendum is approved to purchase property and construct a Dix Hills library building.
- July 30: Dix Hills Building opens.
- September 16: 20th anniversary is celebrated.
- March 3: $5 million expansion bond passed by a 2-to-1 margin.
- April: Dedication of expanded library buildings at Dix Hills and Melville.
- Library’s website is on the internet.
- First library in the county to provide one-to-one computer instruction by appointment.
- Beginning with the September/October issue, the First R newsletter is now printed as a two color booklet rather than a black and white newspaper.
- Spring: Melville’s renovation is completed.
- April 26: 50th anniversary celebration is held.
- December 28: Library’s mobile web page goes online.
- Summer: Grant awarded for the Dix Hills Roof Replacement/Solar Project.
- August 31: Launch of the newly redesigned library website.
- May 23: HHHL Mobile, the Library app, is available for Apple devices.
- February 22: Android version of the Library app is available.
- October: 3D printing appointments open.
- The July/August issue of the newsletter is redesigned and is now in color.
- September 7: Library podcast, “In the Stacks,” is launched.
- October 3: $14.5 million bond to build a new Dix Hills building was passed 1255 to 632.
- October 12: Website is redesigned in a blog format and with more mobile friendly features.
- October 31: The doors to the Dix Hills Branch are locked during a closing ceremony and hours at both Branches are extended.
- November 17: Chestnut Hill School, a temporary location during construction, located at 600 S. Service Road, is officially opened to the public.
- Library membership is over 25,000 patrons and the library is open 70 hours each week.