DIX HILLS BUILDING
55 Vanderbilt Parkway
Dix Hills, N.Y. 11746
Monday - Friday:
9:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sundays (Sept. - June):
noon - 5:00 p.m.
510 Sweet Hollow Road
Melville, N.Y. 11747
Monday - Thursday:
10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday:
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wireless Internet Access
The Half Hollow Hills Community Library provides free wireless access to online services to supplement and enhance its information resources. Users of the wireless network are advised that the Library neither controls, nor can be responsible for, the contents of these systems, networks, and services and that all of the online information, graphics, and messages accessible throughout the Library's computers and wireless access points originate outside of the Library.
- Wireless users agree to abide by the Library’s Internet Policy and Optimum Online's Terms of Service while using the Library’s wireless network.
- The Library’s wireless network is filtered.
- The Library’s wireless network is not secure. Since radio signals can potentially be intercepted, activity requiring transmission of credit card numbers, passwords and other personal information should be avoided.
- Users are responsible for knowing how to configure their own equipment. Library staff cannot provide technical support for establishing or maintaining a connection. Since everyone’s computer is different,
the Library will not support equipment configurations and cannot be responsible for any changes made
to an individual computer’s settings.
- The wireless network is open. Simultaneously connected computers are visible to each other and therefore vulnerable to other users’ viruses, malware and hacks.
- Users may not plug equipment into the Library’s computer network.
- Patrons may only access web-based email. There is no access to FTP, PPTP, SMTP, Telnet, File Sharing, or POP mail.
- The wireless network is intended to be a shared resource and limited bandwidth is available.
Do not download large files or stream video or audio over the network.
- The Library reserves the right to terminate a wireless Internet session at any time.
- The Library is not responsible for any loss of data, or for theft or damage to personal equipment.
Approved by the Board of Trustees: 11/21/05
- Users must bring their own wireless-enabled laptop computer or other wireless device to the Library.
The Library does not provide wireless cards.
- Users should maintain up-to-date antivirus software and firewalls.
- Bring a fully charged battery. Public electrical outlets may not be available.
- If you plan to use audio, bring your own headphones.
- Wireless printing is available.
- The Wireless Network is not secure. Use at your own risk. Do not use it for sensitive information such as personal banking, shopping, or any website that requires a special log in.
- The Wireless Network is only available during Library hours.
- Certain databases may not be available through the Wireless Network; use a wired Internet computer for those.
- For information about the filtering software used by the Library, please go to http://www.bascom.com/about/bascom-overview.