RECOMMENDED CAREERS AND EMPLOYMENT
CAREER RELATED DATABASES (you will need a library card to
- Job & Career Accelerator
- Career assessment, job searching, college information, résumé and interviewing
- Learning Express
- Tests for EMT, teacher, police, nurse, and many more, test prep for professional
licensing, SAT, ACT, Advanced Placement, grad school admissions, CLEP, GED
- High quality online courses, get feedback from instructors, earn certificates
CAREER COUNSELING AT THE LIBRARY - The Library
offers free career counseling and résumé/interviewing help by a professional
Career Counselor in the Library. Half Hollow Hills Community Library card holders only,
by appointment. To sign up, call Edna Susman at (631) 498-1260.
Patchogue-Medford Library has a bi-lingual career counselor. She
sees patrons on Monday evenings. Appointments are necessary and may be made
by calling (631) 654-4700 ext. 248. This service is available for anyone in Suffolk
CAREER BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY - Civil Service test
booklets, occupational & career guides & pamphlets, study guides for
occupational & student exams such at EMT, stockbroker, teacher, nurse,
police, medical & business school entrance exams. Please see a Reference
Librarian if you would like help locating these and more.
AT THE LIBRARY
Check out these books and more in the Library's Career Section:
- 101 Successful Interviewing Strategies by Eric P. Kramer
- Criminal Justice Internships: Theory Into Practice by Gary R. Gordon
- Job Hunting After 50 by Carol A. Silvis
- Gallery of Best Resumes: A Collection of Quality Resumes by Professional Resume Writers by David F. Noble
NEW AND USEFUL LINKS
- Find information about hundreds of careers including educational requirements,
job descriptions, salary information, and future career paths.
- As the federal government website for information on disability programs
and services in communities nationwide, this site is a good place to start
for career planning, places to search for a job, where to look for job training,
and job information by state.
Express - Launched by the NYS Department of Labor, this
website is designed to help New Yorkers who are seeking employment. The
website makes it easier to learn about what jobs are available in the state
and to know where to find them.